I was actually getting to the point of annoyance when someone would say, "Hey I have this piece of furniture I don't want. You want it for free?" Just kidding. I wasn't really annoyed, but instead totally grateful and excited when some friends and acquaintances gave me more pieces to re-do however I wanted (they are coming soon); but I was hoping to have no other project (potential money maker) to come my way so that I could justify my time and attention on the eye sore in my boys' room.
Anyway, enough talking, here's how it went down...
Because I am impatient I sanded the drawers down using my Craftsman belt sander that had 80 grit sandpaper on it (probably not what a belt sander is meant for). Then I used my Makita palm sander starting with 60 grit for the edges and corners that my belt sander neglected. I then went to 150 grit and then 220 for the drawers to be super soft and smooth.
Facebook feedback too and love how my friends and peeps pull through with their opinions. The opinions were somewhat mixed. I decided I wanted the drawers somewhat weathered but not too gray since the dresser was a bluish gray and I wanted more of a separation of the two. I then made a very watered down brown paint mixture and wiped it on and rubbed it off to bring more brown out. (Again I had to use the 220 sandpaper to bring the softness back. Annoying.) Once the drawers were dry I used my General Finishes clear top coat in the satin finish to protect the drawers.
To make the dresser match the look of the drawers a little bit more, I used my palm sander with 100 grit sandpaper and sanded down the edges.