(Update 8/24/15: Here is the link to the exact sheet I bought at Home Depot and it is only $22 online. It is the "cloverleaf" aluminum sheet and it can be delivered to HD with free pickup. You can see the other sizes and designs available on their website)
So here's how I did it:
First, retro designs on old pieces can often help make your piece awesome. In this case I didn't like the "pattern". It wasn't dainty or pretty in any way. I felt that this piece was so "heavy" looking and needed to become "lighter". I wanted to put feet on it, but the way the piece was constructed, the base needed to stay put....and honestly adding feet to it would make it look awkward (opinion).
Next, I cut the decorative aluminum sheet using my Dremel Saw Max. Oh my word, can I just say that this little saw ceases to amaze me! My hubby bought it as part of a Dremel set (comes with a Dremel rotary tool, and some other house fixer tool that I have yet to use), for around $120 for all three. Best. Present. Ever. This saw is so dang powerful, yet you can hold it in one hand and totally have control. Love.
I then sprayed primer over everything.
This time everything looked so much better. Sigh of relief. I put the knobs back on and voila!